Yin Yoga @ Grayton Beach
Time & Location
About the Event
Bring a blanket, perhaps even a pillow and get ready to sink deeper into your yoga practice. No yoga mat needed, a sheet or a blanket that is easy to shake the sand off of will be ideal.
New to Yin Yoga? Read all about it below:
Meaning of word "Yin":
Most of us have seen the Chinese symbol of the Yin Yang, representing the balance inherent in all life. The Yin side of this balance is feminine, gentle, still and grounding. A Yin yoga practice, also having its roots in China, therefore invites these elements onto the yoga mat. The long-held shapes in Yin Yoga are meant to increase flexibility in the body and circulation in the joints -- gently promoting vitality.
3 Rules of Yin Yoga:
- Find your "edge": The edge is place where your body actively resists the stretch - you should never go past your edge or injuries may occur
- Resolve to Stillness: this practice is mentally challenging as the student tries to remain completely still during the posture
- Hold for a period of time: New students may hold the shape for 1-2 minutes, while seasoned practitioners may hold a shape for 5 minutes
This is a tricky one to gauge in terms of intensity. If you were observing a class, you wouldn't find the practice to look intense at all. In fact, the students don't even get off of the floor until they are ready to stand and leave the room. however, it is mentally challenging to remain at your edge in stillness for the few minutes that the postures require. Yin is accessible to most people, allowing a large population to enjoy it's many benefits.
Because the respiratory system is linked with the nervous system, a slow, steady breath is crucial to a Yin practice. The stretches in Yin are intense, sometimes causes the brain to have a "freak out" moment where it wants to escape the shape. A slow steady breath, however, tells the brain everything is okay -- allowing the nervous system to remain calm and the body to surrender to the posture.
60 - 90 minutes
- There are SO MANY benefits to yoga, but here is a brief overview specifically for Yin:
- Increases circulation in the joins
- Promotes vitality and flexibility within the connective tissues
- Significantly reduces stress and stress hormones, such as cortisol, within the body
- Fosters self-love and self-awareness
- Cultivates mental stamina and perseverance
Hope to practice with you soon!
- Online Ticket$10$100$0